Trekking Olleros Chavin Trek Huaraz - Cordillera Blanca
Olleros Chavin Trek - 3 days:
Easy 3-day trek from Olleros to Chavin, one of the most important archeaological sites in Peru, which we of course visit on the third day.
The steady gradual climb towards the Yanashallash Pass makes the trek rather easy to conquer. The main tempel in Chavin is dated back to 1200 BC and ist the most important pre-inka culture in Peru. (As a comparison: Machu Picchu is from ca. 1470 AD!)
This trek combines adventure with culture and is relatively short. This combination makes it a very popular trek in the Huaraz region.
Duration: 3 days
Highest altitude: 4.700 m (15.420 ft) (Punta Yanashallash)
Olleros Chavin Trek altitude chart
Chavin de Huantar (normally visited on day 3) is closed on Mondays. If your tour start on a Saturday, you would have three options: leave out the visit (you can see part of the site partly from the outside and complete from the trail leading to Chavin), do the trail backwards (the 1st day would be quite a steep uphill) or ultimately, change your travel date.
| Tent Breakfast Lunch Dinner
Transport Huaraz - Olleros (3450 m). Hike to Sacracancha (4080 m).
Distance: 30 km (Transport). Hike 15 km.
Walking time: 5-6 hours
Sacracancha – Yanashallash-Pass (4700 m) - Shongopampa (4088 m).
Distance: 11 km
Walking time: 5-6 hours
Shongopampa - Chavin de Huantar (3140 m).
Distance: 10 km
Walking time: 3,5 - 4 hours
- Private tours: our price system guarantees your departure and only with your team members.
- Private tourist transport from/to your ho(s)tel.
- English speaking official guide.
- Donkeys & Donkey drivers. Approx. 12 kg per client.
- Good and varied food (vegetarian option).
- All camping equipment and cooking/eating utensils.
- 3 or 4 Season sleeping tents. (3 person tents with additional fly storage for every 2 clients, Salewa, Mountain Equipment Coop, Northface, .)
- Thermarest self-inflatable mattresses.
- Emergency Horse. (>6 people, 2 horses).
- All entrance fees.
- First aid kit & oxygen bottle.
- Additional beverages or meals in villages.
- Breakfast on the 1st and dinner on the last day.
- Return or abortion otherwise as planned itinerary: transport & possible accommodation costs (also for staff)
- Personal mountain equipment such as trekking shoes, rain/wind jacket/pants, hat, gloves, sunglasses etc.
- Sleeping bag (more info)
Can we book on-site?
The quality of the tours sold in Huaraz (99%) are not at the level of our minimum
requierements (general quality, proper payment of staff, sudden extra costs,
unwanted surprises, ...).
In order to organize a trek properly, get one of the better guides etc. it is
very much recommendable to book well in advance.
Needless to say that left-over guides, cooks,… are not usually the best.
Hotels, bus before/after trek?
We can also organize transfers, hotels in Huaraz or other cities, packages in the rest of
the country etc. If you would prefer more services, from the airport in Lima
for example or a complete Peru travel package, please let us know.
Can you accommodate food sensitivities?
Our cooks are used to dealing with vegetarians and vegans.
„Private room with a view“ – from your private tent!
Homely get-together in the group tent – we are always excellently taken care of by our staff.
Camp at Shongopampa (4088 m).
Like us on Facebook